ABOUT THE POSITION
Synthace are looking to recruit a passionate and enthusiastic Laboratory Manager, to join our world-class team and help us achieve our goal of re-defining and revolutionising biology.
Want a laboratory management role with a difference? Here you will be challenged with cutting edge requirements that a “lab of the future” will bring, including exciting product development & testing specifications.
You will need to be a fierce problem solver to better current lab processes, have strong leadership skills to motivate and ensure lab members adhere to best working practices, and have a real desire for high quality working practices across the product development team to help ensure everything comes together like a well-oiled machine.
The role will be multi-functional in that it bridges health and safety, quality, inventory & equipment management, logistics and product development requirements. All of which must be evaluated to a world-leading standard.
Your past experience in previous high-tech lab manager roles and hands-on research will be crucial for engaging with all Synthace team members and external collaborators in order to satisfy project requirements.
Our main current target market is the pharmaceutical sector, so relevant experience is a plus - particularly in discovery, development or analytics. We are particularly interested in hearing from you if you have experience in managing mammalian, microbial and/or lab automation equipped environments.
You would mostly be based at our HQ in White City Place (West London), but occasional travel may be required in some instances.
Success after 6 months would look like:
- You will have built new processes where necessary, and taken ownership of Health & Safety, Quality, Inventory Management, Facilities Management, Equipment and Functions.
- You will have streamlined processes and industrialised the lab.
- You will have built trust, with the rest of the team seeing you as being there to enable and support them, to allow everyone to do what they do best.
- Ensure safe working practices across all team members entering the lab
- Ensure all permutations of risk assessments, COSHH assessments are up to date and adhered to
- Ensure a high-quality working environment across all product team members, including but not limited to software engineers
- Ensuring key SOPs are in place, up to date and lab members are trained accordingly
- Will be required to put essential lab processes in place with senior product team members
- Maintain hardware booking schedules
- Aid in scheduling the work activities of laboratory employees and software engineers
- Keep track of all laboratory equipment and materials
- Maintain and continue to develop stock management practices
- Responsible for ensuring strategic lab facilities are maintained directly and by equipment specialists
- To become the knowledge based for all lab facility requirements and lead facility management alongside lab team
- Make sure consumables ordering is streamlined, including good in and goods out processes
- Liaise with building management team to ensure smooth running of all lab functions
- Participating member of Health & Safety and Quality Committees
- Ensuring a high-level of cleanliness of lab environment
- Heavily involved in strategic kit purchases, logistics, commissioning, decommissioning processes alongside senior product team members
- Act as an interface between senior management, the client and laboratory staff
- Ensure the proper handling, storage and disposal of hazardous materials
- Ensure biological and non-biological consumables are stocked alongside lab team members
- To participate in execution of some product development campaigns
- It is important that you have previous experience in a Lab Management position – ideally with a team size of at least 10-15 in the lab
- You enjoy being an enabler, looking for the most efficient way to work rather than creating process for process’ sake
- Excellent communication skills to facilitate specialist and non-specialist lab user requirements
- Excellent documentation and laboratory process description documentation skills
- Extremely proactive with great forward-thinking skills to ensure maintenance and breakdowns are all in hand and avoided where possible, thinking about important lab requirements for upcoming work, etc. with senior management
- Leadership qualities in order to motivate and make sure lab team members are fully onboarded with lab quality, health and safety and lab cleaning campaigns
- Able to strategically delegate and manage personal workload in order to efficiently perform lab manager functions
- You must have excellent time management skills in order to be successful in this multi-functional role
- Solid analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Exceptional team working skills with a view of working closely with internal and external customers to guarantee successful outcomes of planned experimental campaigns
- A desire to learn about laboratory hardware, lab facilities, their maintenance and functional requirements is vital
- You thrive under pressure and enjoy working to deadlines
Beneficial (don't worry if you don't have:
- Lab automation management experience - GMP (Good Manufacturing Process) experience is a huge plus
- Experience working in a product development environment
- Industrial laboratory management experience